Often, I feel like people – including me – push themselves into the background and simply don’t let themselves be heard. It can be because they feel afraid or simply because they forget that they can speak up about themselves and that they aren’t like other people.
After yet another of my personality crises in which I tried to convince myself that I had nothing in the way of interesting things about me – that I was a sheep, always following the crowd – I had enough. An idea for a tag, both for me and all of you, sprang into my mind with such ferocity that I had to pause for a second to check that I was alright because usually, I don’t have these “I’ve HAD A GOOD IDEA I’m ORIGINAL!” moments. That’s another reason why I created this tag and after much deliberation – involving asking about 5 people for their feedback and getting people to vote on the name – I came up with the Uniquely Me Tag.
To make this all official-looking, I’m going to write out some rules, do the tag, nominations and so forth and have a little more of an explanation at the end. I’m doing this too, to remind myself of my qualities.
1. Thank the person that nominated you for this tag and link to their blog (spread the love, basically).
2. Write as many things that are unique to you as possible: these can be things that you do, say, like or have that make you different to other people or let you stand out. It can be what defines you as a person, a little thing about you that is just simply you or something little known that you think makes you up as a person.
3. Nominate up to 10 bloggers or as many as you like; there isn’t a limit.
4. You can take this tag as seriously or non-seriously as you like; you can laugh whilst doing it or feel contemplative: this is about you, after all.
5. After you’ve written this and if you ever feel like there’s nothing to you but what other people have already said and done, look back to your post and remember that it isn’t true.
DISCLAIMER: If a tag like this already exists, I’m sorry for accidentally copying your idea; if you know if there is a tag similar to this then do let me know and link me to the creator so that I can give credit where credit is due.
Unique Things about Me
• When I laugh too hard, I end up screeching or making this high-pitched sound that kind of makes me sound like a mouse
• When I’m around tall people, I try to act as tall as possible (this can include standing on tiptoes, purposefully standing on a higher step or bit of an escalator or just pretending to exude tallness)
• I have an old coin collection that belonged to my grandfather and various other people which I adore taking out and feeling the different shapes of shillings, pennies and everything in between
• I like to find voice recordings from the very early years of sound technology, like the 1890s, because it fascinates me to listen to those little bits of history
• In the room I have at my dad’s house, I have a shelf which has a bunch of ornaments and interesting things on it that I got from my grandma, some beaches and little things that have been given to me; I scattered them on the shelf in no particular order and that’s the only thing in my room that’s like that
• As a joke, I’ve taken to saying “AWWW whinge whinge cry cry!” in the most baby-like, patronising voice ever whenever something mildly unfortunate happens to either my friends and I and it’s got to the point where other people have started saying it (I’m so proud)
• I’m able to comfortably cringe at my younger self and almost own how embarrassing I was
• All of my accents are terrible and I spontaneously break out into little phrases that are meant to sound like they’re one accent but end up sounding completely different
• I make such a joke about me being single and wanting to stay that way that blogging friends of mine have come up with the hashtag #Forelmveralone and I say that all the time now
• I have a tendency to advise people on their lives, so much so people give me the nickname of Grandma Elm sometimes
• I absolutely bloody love the Eurovision Song Contest and I’m unapologetic about it
• When I’m experiencing high emotion, I talk to myself so that it feels real
• I sometimes stand in the dark and think about space, the universe and existence
These are all bloggers I love and want to talk to more because their personalities are amazing:
2. White Bear Online
3. Girl Masked
9. Life in a Blogshell
11. All the Jazz
Anyone else who wants to do it can! Don’t hold yourself back if you haven’t been nominated: you’re still just as unique as ever.
This is a way to celebrate you as a person, as an individual, taking into account all of the qualities that make you different. Being different is what gets me through life, anyhow. You aren’t boring, dull or uninteresting: there are plenty of things that only you will do in a certain way. Embrace it!
From Elm 🙂