In the rush of life and in the mayhem of everything, I feel like I sometimes – scratch that, always – forget that there are tiny little things I should be proud of myself for doing. It’s so easy to get bogged down with all the huge things you should be doing that we can forget that yes, we’ve done important things but there are also the things that others might overlook. They’re important too; they’re what keep me going.
I saw my Head of Year today and I cried until I felt too hollowed out for words. Seeing her wasn’t as helpful as I’d have liked it to be but she did say something really worthwhile: I’ve done small things recently that are positive. In the pit of negativity I’ve plunged myself into, there are ways of looking at the little bright sparks.
Here’s a list, for you, of a few things that you might not even think are worth mentioning. They’re obvious things but that’s the beauty of it: I’ve done them, I’m still here; I’m still going. That’s what matters.
1. I got out of bed this morning, despite not wanting to.
2. I keep up my skincare routine every day, even when I don’t feel like it, because I know it makes my skin healthy.
3. I read a page of my book for English and when I wanted to give up, I read another page.
4. I spoke to my friends this morning and didn’t make an excuse that I had to do work.
5. I replied to my Twitter messages.
6. I did a little bit of singing a few days ago, just to myself, and felt the smallest thrill of happiness like I hadn’t in a while.
7. I smiled at someone as they walked past; I didn’t even know them but it felt nice.
8. I had an idea for something I might write for the school newspaper and I’m planning to write it down.
9. I didn’t want to disappear much after I cried with my Head of Year.
10. When I got the urge to message someone who’s been messing with my head recently, I didn’t do it.
11. I’m writing this blog post.
12. I have a work plan for this evening – I have an objective.
13. I’m breathing regularly.
14. Things are feeling more real than they usually do.
15. I thought the words “I love you” and didn’t get scared.
If you can take a little inspiration from this; if you can be helped by this or if this makes things feel a little less like everything’s screaming in your head, then it will let me realise that words are as powerful as ever. This list won’t magically help but it’s done a little something for me and maybe, you too. Remember that you aren’t a superhero and every single little thing you do that makes you go “Oh, I’m still going” is worthwhile. Those little achievements are impressive because you’ve completed them and only you know what that means to you.
Don’t sweep over things just because they’re small. They’re still relevant; they’re still things you’ve done. Those little things are what you should be proud of yourself for. I’m certainly proud of you, for simply carrying on as yourself and doing the smallest things which build you up, day by day.
When you start to feel down, maybe have a go at creating a list like I’ve done. It helps to show yourself what you’ve achieved and how you can move forward.
Keep going. You’re not invincible but neither are you someone who gives up, no matter what you tell yourself. Small things can make you stronger, bit by bit. You aren’t stupid for cherishing the little moments. You should smile at yourself for them.
Love from Elm 🙂